Tuesday, December 1, 2009

And I thought I could cook?

There are days and there are days - today was not my favorite kitchen day.

Kitchen disasters don't happen often in our house, but when they do, they tend to be spectacular. Today was no exception -

My Aunt Lil sent us some of her infamous baklava (the actual name is pronounced bitlayawa, but I can't spell it) and we enjoyed it so much, I thought I'd give it a try.

Ground walnnuts - check!

Melted and skimmed butter - check!

Simple syrup without honey - check!

Defrosted phyllo dough - NO CHECK!!!!

Did you know that frozen phyllo dough can get stale after a couple of years in the freezer? Well, I know now! Unfortunately I'm a little slow - my lesson was not evident until I bit into the completed pastry!

Yes, hours of prep, layering, brushing each individual phyllo sheet with butter, blah, blah blah.....

Maybe I can save the walnuts by scraping them off the phyllo and use them as an ice cream topper.

Just thought you would like to know!

Hope it gave you a smile!

P.S. There will be no pictures with this post - ever!