Thursday, January 9, 2014

Pumpkin Apricot Custard in Jars!



We love pumpkin or sweet potato custards in our house. They make a great dessert and the perfect breakfast.

No sugar - just some honey.

No fats - just protein from eggs and calcium from milk.

And where else can you get a serving of veggies in your dessert or breakfast?

The perfect breakfast for my husband is portable, so I don't usually make custards in a big pan, but in custard cups. The problem with the cups is they need to be covered in the refrigerator. As I work to be more mindful of my use of resources, the idea of using plastic or foil to cover each cup seems wasteful.

Now those of you who know me wouldn't be surprised to learn that I have a several dozen canning jars in my kitchen at all times. So I cook my custards in 8 ounce canning jars. They withstand the heat of the oven/water bath with no problem and once cooled, they can be closed with a lid and a ring and stored in the refrigerator.

4-5 cups of cooked pureed pumpkin
1/2 cup Dried Apricot Jam (Hogtown HomeGrown January 2014)
1/2 cup honey
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Blend all ingredients. Pour into jars.
Place jars in roasting/baking pan and add hot water to cover the bottom third of the jars.
Bake 45 minutes until puffed and cracked on top.
Remove from pan.
Cool, cap and refrigerate. Eat within one week.
Make about 8 one cup servings.